Thursday, June 5, 2008

Moody

I forgot to tell that after I was born in Willow Grove (I do not know how long we lived there) but we moved to a farm on the west side of Moody and lived there until we moved to Albany. I remember it was a white house with a big living room with a wood burning stove in it. The front steps were blue and there were several leading to a big porch. I remember having a little red wagon and several dolls that I would sit up in the wagon and pull them around. The unusual thing about my dolls was that I had a black doll. Don’t know who gave me that!!!

Mother and Daddy bought me a rabbit one time and we kept it in a cage in the back yard. I loved that rabbit. It was beautiful white rabbit and they would let it out when I was in the back yard to play with it. One morning I went out and it was dead. It had eaten something that ants had gotten all over and they stung it to death. I was horrified. So they got me a puppy and I was so proud of that puppy and played with it. They did not let it in the house, though. One day I went out to play with the puppy and it was asleep under a bush beside the house and I reached down and picked it up. I guess I scared it because it bit me on my upper lip (I had a scar there til I was nearly grown.) They did not get rid of the puppy, but one day a man came in a truck and stopped. He had cherries in the back of the pickup. I do not remember whether my mother bought any cherries or not, but when he drove off he ran over my puppy and killed it. The puppy had gone under the truck and was eating a cherry. I cried for days. My heart was broken. My grandpa and grandma Meacham had a big yellow dog and they brought it to me – thought that would help me get over my loss, but I refused that dog. I did not like it and made them take it back.

The bed I have in the middle bedroom is the bed that we had in the spare bedroom of that house. The chairs Steve and Joan refinished were the chairs that my parents started housekeeping with.

I remember loving “coffee” – Mother would give me milk and put a little coffee in it and some sugar. Also, I loved pie crust. I did not care for the pie – just the crust, so my daddy would always give me his crust. We had a big garden and my dad farmed (we had cotton) and he would have men come when it was time to pick the cotton. I remember dragging a small sack and picking cotton. I always had to wear a bonnet to keep the sun off my face and out of my eyes.

3 comments:

Ginger said...

So that's where my LOVE of pie crust...only the crust...came from! Thank you for always making me pie crust...you always made me feel extra special! Love you!!!!

Leave It To Davis said...

Remember Blackie that was run over when I was in the first grade? I remember crying all day at school because of him.....that was so sad....just like your puppy....and you gave us milk with coffee in it with sugar, too....just like your mom.....now that sounds nasty! But we sure loved it as kids!

Steve and Joan said...

That is so sad! But animals are fun to have and add a lot of joy. Their deaths are traumatic and they don't live very long but I'm glad we have them!

Steve